Saturday, August 13, 2011

Dance/Cheer/Pagent Mom

So I'm sitting here watching Toddlers & Tiaras. Yes, its a guilty pleasure in a very creepy way because some of these kids creep me out-they look like REAL dolls and its freaky. So watching these moms got me thinking. The episode that is on is for a pagent here in Texas. I also watch Dance Moms. I was on Spirit Team, I did gymnastics, I was on Drill Team. Naturally I want my princess to follow in my footsteps and either be a dancer or a cheerleader. She actually LOVES to dance. She has been in a ballet class for about 3 months. She starts at her new studio on MONDAY and I'm so excited for her. The new studio has a full range of dance, gymnastics and cheer. So if we are here in this area for a long time (Which we will be-If I never get to move back home like I want) then she wold be able to choose as she gets older-dance or cheer. I love going to my neices cheer comps. They are exciting when our teams are performing and we are screaming and cheering for them (people cheering for cheerleaders? Bring it On reference)



Showtime Dance Studio Recital 1995
I WILL NOT BE 'THAT' MOM. I wont be the crazy psycho mom who yells at my child to always be perfect. I feel so bad for these poor girls who dont even LOOK like themselves anymore. Stuffed full of sugar to keep them awake and happy.  Or forcing practice 7 days a week until 11 pm for a child who obviously doesnt WANT to participate. I want her to enjoy it, to develop a passion and a real talent. I miss my dance days. I miss the friendships, I miss the fun costumes, I miss the excitement of learning a new dance, I miss the thrill I would get everytime I would step on the field and know that all eyes were on my team ready to watch us do what we do best-entertain. Dance is such a hard art. Getting all the movements and timing down takes alot of concentration and determination. I love to dance. I love being able to express myself in another way. The way you focus on nothing but the beat and the movements of your body. Its very much the way I feel when I work out now either zumba, boot camp or yoga and I love that I'm able to get that feeling again.



The princess has been asking for 'dance cwass?' for a month now. When we went to test drive our timing to get out to her new studio as soon as we pulled in the parking lot she started saying 'dance cwass? i go dance momma?" There was nothing anywhere to show her that we were at a dance studio. Once we got inside and she saw all the gymnasts, the mirrored walls and the wood floor she kept trying to take off down the hallway to go dance. And she was NOT happy when we left without her getting to dance. Luckily it starts this Monday. We get to go shopping for tap shoes tomorrow and a fun new leotard. For this class she can basically wear anything she wants as long as its tight fitting to allow her to move easily and for the teacher to see her body alignment. She will be in a combo tap/ballet class.

I can't wait to be a dance/cheer mom. I love how devoted my BFF is to her kids. Particularly the cheering part. Finding the crown and royalty related items, making signs, watching practice etc. I love the idea of searching for perfect pink/navy/zebra items or necklaces with crowns on them, to be able to sport all my blink to support my child. Probably the novelty of it will wear off by the second season, but still-it seems so much fun. We'll see how I feel about it in about 2 years!


Ballarina Baby







No comments:

Post a Comment