Monday, April 15, 2013

Surviving a 4 year old

Here I thought 4 year olds would be SO much easier than 3. She can communicate better, she can dress herself, is fully potty trained, tells me stories and is pretty good at cleaning up....which she clearly ONLY wants to do at school. Really kid?

This weekend feels like I was swept into the eye of a hurricane. All around me I could see destruction and chaos and I couldn't do anything about it. We finally had a weekend where we had NO plans and since I'm heading to my mommy's graduation mid-week we decided to not do our usual trip to gramma's house and stay home and 'spring clean'. Pretty sure the ONLY thing that is still clean from this weekend is my scalp from pulling all my hair out. Every inch I cleaned Hurricane Princess swept behind me with race cars, Jessie, an assortment of My Little Ponies, every piece of linen for her bed and a 5 foot long stuffed alligator. That makes my brain hurt just remembering it all! Nothing is safe. Including the poor cat. Princess loves to play tea party, dress up and princess with poor Sammy, but Sammy is as sweet as can be and lets her do pretty much whatever she wants to her. Now THAT is love.





What I am really loving though is seeing parts of me in her.

 How amazing it is to watch her imagination. I feel like I was pretty imaginative when I was younger, I remember being able to play alone and never be bored. Oh the stories and adventures I could go on. And watching her sit in the living room with her MLP's having tea with Batman and Superman before watching the Little People princess marry the Spiderman is better than any tv show I could imagine. Luckily she also seems to LOVE books and coloring. She would probably lay on the floor and color for hours if I had enough paper in the house. As it is now we have a very large STACK of completely filled coloring books and probably 200 crayons in the house. Not to mention the markers and colored pencils (are they still called map pencils? does that show how old I am?) And the books. She has certain books memorized because she has me read them to her every night. Sometimes the same book 2 or 3 times.  I'm dying for her to learn to actually read so I can watch HER read. Is that weird? hm probably. Anyhow.

The difference and 3 and 4 is just amazing. The imagination, the ability to carry on conversations (that actually make sense!), watching her do things for herself-like who knew watching her brush her teeth without my help would make me SO proud, I mean really? But I guess its that 'mommy thing'. Getting ridiculously excited over the little things. I can't imagine what its going to be like when she does the BIG things like her first cheer comp or first time she reads or heck, the first time she ties her shoes all alone! I just am amazed at this tiny little mini-me who looks (and unfortunately ACTS) just like me. Its like having a little clone! But I'm not looking forward to the preteen/teen years. Then, Heaven help me cause the padding in my white room will need to be super thick!

So my post was supposed to be about surviving a 4 year old right? Basically....deep breaths, a lot of patience and lots and lots of wine.....
 (i'm kidding....right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment