Monday, June 02, 2014

The Graduation

So Princess has graduated from pre-k! Yes, they did a whole ceremony complete with cap and gown! The kids recited poems, sang a couple of songs, then they each walked up to get their 'diploma'. This was followed by the traditional tossing of the cap. Which lasted a lot longer than usual considering how much fun it was for 20 5 year olds to throw stuff in the air and not get yelled at!

 
While I wasn't really crazy about the school she was at, she did learn quite a bit and it helped her to grow. She truly is a very smart child, and I'm hoping that she always holds on to that desire to learn, or be nosey as I like to call it. She is now moving on to a new environment, staying with a couple of other kids at an in-home childcare with "Nana M". Its a totally new situation for her, as she's had nothing but corporate styled child care centers for her whole life. Structured and very scheduled, especially at this last school. Very learning focused, lots of workbook learning. Which is wonderful, but still, they are kids. They should have more art time, and playtime, and learning by DOING instead of just sitting at a desk doing worksheets. So, I think she is going to have a great time on this new adventure. Summertime is a time to play outside, enjoying the fresh air, having fun, and still learning but in a relaxed environment. I'm also excited that with the new friends she has made over the last few months through cheer and soccer that we can hopefully have some fun outings with over the summer! I have plans for the zoo, waterparks, Lego store, aquarium etc. Although its times like this I really wish I had a different career with more flexible time. I'd love to spend the whole summer doing fun stuff with Princess! Especially now that we are in a house and we have a big yard to play in.





It was such a mommy-moment to see her in that cap and gown. Especially with the realization that my niece is graduating from high school this week. Its such a shock how quickly it goes by. One day they are tiny babies who need your help for everything, then suddenly you look up and they are ready to move on to a new chapter of life. My niece has picked an exceptional college to attend this fall and I know she is going to do amazing things with her life. My best friend has done an excellent job raising her to be a smart, determined, and kind-hearted young woman and with those traits she is ready to take on the world. Everyday I wonder if I'm raising Princess right, doing the best I can to make sure that she is well prepared for her life, and quite honestly it sucks to do it alone. Most of the time I'm fine with her dad not being involved, but some days I just wish she had 2 parents there to support her. I want her to do amazing things, see everything she can, live fulfilled and happy. I don't want to say I have any regrets over my life,(though there are a few people I regret EVER being friends with!)  because everything I did got me to the happy place I'm at now, but I do wish I had fought harder to be in school and make a career I loved, and that I traveled more. I know I can still do that stuff now, but I really hope that Princess is able to do more with her life than I did. I will do anything I can to make sure she gets all the opportunities she can to study, travel, meet new people, and try new things. That's why I'm 'that mom' who wants to put her in every activity, so she can try it all to see what inspires her. How will she ever know what she is good at if she doesn't get to experience it?

I'm still dealing with the fact that she starts Kindergarten in just 2 and half months, and what a new world that will be (for both of us!) but I know its just another exciting step forward for her! I'm looking forward to our first school shopping, packing lunches, being part of the PTV, and all that comes with officially being a school-age kid. Its going to be busy, but I can't wait.  But for now we will enjoy every day of our summer surrounded by friends and family and lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment